Climbing Festival Info
Here you can find some basic information about the Kalymnos Climbing Festival.
- Promotion of Greek Thematic Tourism.
- Extension of the tourist season.
- Local development achieved by exploiting the competitive advantage of Kalymnos.
- Maintaining the reputation of the island as one of the top climbing holiday destinations in the world.
- 2000 (organized by the Municipality of Kalymnos)
- 2004 (organized by the Municipality of Kalymnos)
- 2006 (sponsored and co-organized by Petzl)
- 2009 (organized by the Municipality of Kalymnos)
- 2011 (organized by the Municipality of Kalymnos)
- 2012-2013-2014 (sponsored and co-organized by The North Face)
- 2015 (organized by the Municipality of Kalymnos)
The total number of participants has exceeded 6500.
Benefits for the island
- Exploiting the competitive advantage of Kalymnos and branding the island as an ideal destination for climbing holidays.
- Development of other forms of alternative tourism like trekking, diving and caving.
- Extension of the tourist period.
- Active participation of local population (personnel/volunteers, local businesses, local authorities etc.).
- A large number of passive participants (spectators like visitors, local population etc.).
- Know-how in managing and promoting the tourist product.
- Reinforcement of relations with other countries.
Kalymnos International Climbing Festival can boost the development of a unique tourist market, based on sports rock climbing.